Pages

Friday 27 February 2015

Words!

Why did no one tell me that there were grammar errors in my last post?
I am so embarrassed...

I woke up today with Second Sight by Placebo in my head. It was a grand thing, seeing as I have not listened to that song in a long time. As I looked though my collection of all things Placebo, I came to remember why I loved this band and I started to think about why other people should, at least, pay attention to them.

Placebo is that band from the nineties that had that song about how a friend with weed was better and that song may or may not have been about sleeping with a girl. They created a wall of sound that a melody could be constructed from. This would have been quite the feat, seeing as they are a three piece.

They have released albums since 1996, and have only released a couple of songs in that period that I think were less than par. I really feel like they hit their stride from 1998 to 2000. That would have been from the albums Without You I'm Nothing, Black Market Music, and Sleeping With Ghosts. Without You I'm Nothing has all of the songs they got famous for, in a good way. Pure Morning is a cascade of incredibly written melodies and horribly self depreciating lyrics. Every You Every Me is interesting because it follows one guitar structure for the entire three and a half minutes and does not let up. Both of these songs are examples of the power that nineties songs could have. The rest of the album toys with Pink Floyed inspired trends and Grunge ideals

Black Market Music is interesting because it really is nothing but a bridge between two great albums. Sure! It is necessary, but really does not warrant much discussion or people might wonder what is wrong with you because you are talking about just a fucking bridge. It does feature David Bowie on a track, doing a duet. I find that rather amazing, I am not going to lie.

Sleeping with ghost is the very definition of a huge album. It opens with the instrumental Bulletproof Cupid which is very high energy and intense and does not let up. Vocally, this album spends a lot of time repeating lines and ideas. The lyrics are a lot more mature than they were on previous works.
The instrument tone on this album is strange. There seems to be a lot put into the high mid range. What is kind of nice about this mix is that you can hear the songs at a much lower volume than you could normally hear music at. The glaring downside is that the songs, at times, are piercing. Maybe that is just me? It is still a fucking good album.

I AM AFFILIATED WITH YOUTUBEMUSICSUCKS.COM.

No comments:

Post a Comment