Pages

Sunday 28 December 2014

Honorable Mentions (PART TWO)

I really wanted to avoid doing another one of these, but I feel as if my loyalties are better served this way from time to time. We just got through the Christmas season. I am sure there at a couple of people looking to use a gift card up. So, this list will contain things that are not too hard to find but HOLY FUCK you should own them.

Beastie Boys -- Ill Communication
This is a great example of a punk band turning their attention towards something else. Beastie Boys started as a hardcore punk band but decided to do hip hop instead. Releasing the first album in 1986 and continuing on until 2011 (when Adam Yauch died of cancer). This album has everything from straight-up rap tracks to almost-punk like parts and pieces. It also takes credit as being the first hip hop albums I review ever. This album also sits very high on my "you should really own and love" list. Yes, everything I am currently writing about is on that list, but this is very VERY high on that list, even though I'm not saying much about it.


Blink-182 -- Enema Of The State
This is one of the earliest album I have ever listened to of my own accord. This album inspired me to consider being in a band, and showed me that you can write songs just to write songs. Here's to you, Blink 182. (as much as I did not mean to rhyme, that was awesome)



Every Time I Die -- Hot Damn!
Well fuck; this album is very deserving to be on this list. It is also deserving of the intro "well fuck."



The Hives -- Tyrannosaurus Hives
This band has, I feel, been overlooked by people for FAR too long. This album is intelligent and methodical. It is also intelligent and biting. There is nothing more fun.


Hot Hot Heat -- Future Breeds
Who would have thought that the band that brought you the song "Bandages" would also bring one of the catchiest, and quite frankly, the best albums of all time? It has been four years and I HAVE LISTENED TO THIS ALBUM AT LEAST ONCE A WAKING DAY. Seriously: So good.

throw grenades instead of baby showers..



Incubus -- Make Yourself
In the list of "First ten albums I bought for myself." This album is both one of the most beautiful and brutal things I have ever heard. The guitar. The vocals. The Bass. The drums. The DJ. This album really is the best of every world ever. I have yet to find better in most regards, without being metal or showcasing someone.



A Life Once Lost -- Hunter
Probably the most cliche metal bands that I am into. They were also one of worst shows I have ever seen. This doesn't mean I don't love this album any less. I would recommend this album to any hardcore fan or metal head.



Mars Volta -- Deloused In The Comatorium
This is an album that proved, to me, that you can do what you want, when you want. I am still blown away by two facts: that this album contains both Televators and Intertiatic E.S.P., and that this band was spawn from At The Drive In. Seriously. Good Show. Good fucking Show.



Modest Mouse -- Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Easily one of the most depressing bands that have ever existed. It really seems like everything they speak of is how everything is wrong and how nothing will ever fix it. You are meaningless. Your life is meaningless. BUT HERE IS A SONG TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER ABOUT BEING USELESS. This was the last album they did before the beautiful Johnny Marr (of The Smiths) joined for an album and an EP. I really do think it is a good album by this band to start with. The overall subject matter is less nihilistic. compared to everything else they have done, anyway. At least the music of the songs is happy. It is kind of sick, in a way. Depress you with lyrics to a song that catches you with a happy, quirky line. Then, BAM! Depressing lyrics everywhere.



Panic! At The Disco -- A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
I hate that I love this band so. Even more because THIS has to be one of the best albums ever written. All the circusy goodness one could ever want. I have heard that the live show surrounding this album was amazing, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment