Pages

Wednesday 3 December 2014

AS I REACH UP MY HANDS TO THE SKY

Goddamn I love this album. I am currently listening to Control by Misery Signals. I was introduced to this band because Pat Hussey said "Are you fucked? You are a drummer and you don't know this band?!" Well, my drunk and/or stoned friend, thank you. He showed me Mirrors, which I love very much, but I picked up Control on the release date and I never looked at music the same way again.

I don't want my love for this album to be taken as misplaced. I really wish that one of my favourite albums was not metal. My goodness, I wish I did not spend days, if not weeks, trying to learn the drum line to "A Certain Death" and only gave up when my hands were raw and bleeding. My throat has been thrashed from screaming along to "Labrythnian" and I did not even care. I wore the scars I have gained from this album like a fucking trophy. I really wish that I wouldn't fanboy over this one, but damnit I can't help it.

Okay; I am done gushing and now, I will write the review part. The guitars are haunting. Even when this band is doing the obligatory early 2000's breakdown, there seems to be some level of beauty. Not to say that the album is not heavy. I think most people would be hard pressed to find a heavier album.

Note on the drums: They Are Fucking Stupid. By stupid, I mean that I an surprised that anyone could ever come up with them. They follow the guitar lines most of the time. That is not saying the guitar lines would be easy to follow, and it is far from a copout.

The song I picked to share off this album is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. It is called "Coma." Please enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment