Pages

Saturday 13 July 2013

Oh Toronto: Learn to Swim.

Garbage week continues! Most of this tale is awesome, though.

So on Monday I had plans to hang out with Luke at her house in Toronto. My evening goes about its usual pace and I get on the road about six PM. If I had checked the weather before I left my house, I may have just waited for another night, though probably not.

So the 401 was flooded therefore stopping all traffic going both ways. I finally get to Young Street around 9:30 PM and have to deal with a combination of no power (for traffic lights), flooded subway (so every pedestrian ever was walking down the road) and a deep hatred for busses (because they hate you). It was actually a lot of fun, for the most part, and people were actually great about the entire thing.
I finally got to Luke's place around 9:45. The house had gotten together and set up candles everywhere. They had also started up the grill (yes, in the rain) and had been clearing out the fridge. Thanks again to that house for the grilled zucchini and steak; it was delicious. We then sat on the porch and waited out the rest of the power outage. Then watched everyone turn on their everything all at once. Then the power dropped again. It was funny. Luke and I then watched Death Proof and I went home.
Death Proof may just be one of my favourite Tarantino movies of all time. For those out of the loop, it was part of a two movie collection call Grindhouse. Death Proof and Planet Terror were supposed to be in homage to classic 1970's exploitation and horror drive-in movies. I really can't seem to do movie reviews, but basically the movie is about this dude who kills women by crashing into their car with his car. Since he is a stunt driver, his car in built to withstand the most impossible collisions, and is therefore Death Proof. It's funny, it's gory, and it's action packed.

I don't think I picked up a single new album this week. That is awkward. I have been listening to Periphery's first album on loop in the car, but that isn't knew.

Although, I don't think I have talked about the new Sigur Rós yet! Which if you are a fan of this band at all, you already know it is amazing. However, if you thought that Sigur Rós was too pop-oriented for postrock, then pick up Kveikur. The opening track breaks the strange ambient tension with a massive and sudden hit from a distorted bass and the drums. It then bleeds into a very intense song where several industrial parts move in and out of the deafening drum patterns. The singer gives a mature and heart-wrenching performance and every member of the band is clearly engrossed in everything they are doing. I also love how the first song is also the first single, though I still don't quite understand the video.


Ooooo.. short post. Strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment