Pages

Sunday 17 March 2013

1) A New Beginning

I was listening to the Ra Ra Riot album 'The Rhumb Line' today and I got thinking about life, death, money, music, and so on. Why did this album bring me to such a reflective state? I blame the Cello/Violin. Could also be that familiar feel and groove played in a different maner. If the string sections were more contemporary  I may have not bothered checking this band out. Thank your God they decided to do something different. The only downside to this purchase was that I had to pick up more plastic sleeves from a store a city over because my place of employment doesn't carry them. 

Speaking of vinyl and my work, we have in a tonne of sale stuff. It is very tempting to just start grabbing random pieces to expand my collection, but I feel like that may be rather pretentious. I decided a few months ago that I was going to stop picking up albums I either didn't care for or didn't know in some way. For instance: I came across a Ra Ra Riot video online and really dug the tune, so I picked up the album. YAY! Example of the opposite, the four or so vinyl I wish to trade out of my collection. I really don't need Hot Sause Committee Part 2. It's not that it's a poor album, it is just that it is not my favorite. Now, if I had Ill Communication... *drools*

Feist's album Metals works beautifully as a soundtrack to Minecraft. It would also work beautifully as that record that you found in your parents collection from when they were a teen and they may not have taken the greatest care of it but by golly they loved them tunes. By that statement, I mean throw a couple of light scratches and pops and the album may actually sound better than brand new. I am almost tempted to just push it around the covers of my bed to kind of mess it up a bit. I DIGRESS. It's good.

Just wrapping up side A of The Rhumb Line. The single I had heard closes out a very pretty twenty minuts. Seriously, bad-ass tune and neat video.



I haven't been home enough to fully appreciate all the records I have obtained since my birthday. I have also been neglecting reading. You can find the reading bit linked up in my Goodreads.com profile. I haven't even been gaming all that much, which is horrible. Finally beat Persona 4 Golden, and now I want to play it again to laugh and cry with every character. Seriously, it is too fucking good. I am about 75% through Far Cry 3, 90% through the story line. It's good, as well. I always seem to forget that I'm playing a FPS when I am playing Far Cry. It almost reminds me of a tighter, more serious Just Cause 2. If you never played JC2, stop reading this blog and go treat yourself to one of the most ridiculous games ever.

Also, 65% through Hitman Absolution. It is better than the advertising made it look, and just as ridiculous as it's predecessors.



MY GOD THE RAMBLES. I still haven't even explained my recent discoveries on life, death, money and love! Or maybe I have? 


OOOO STAR RATINGS FOR THE THINGS I'VE TALKED ABOUT!

(out of five)


Ra Ra Riot 'The Rhumb Line'  ::  ****

UPRATING- Great structures and flow
DOWNRATING- Though different, not quite original enough

Feist 'Metals  ::  ***

UPRATING- pretty pretty album
DOWNRATING- why should I care unless I'm in this mood explicitly?

Persona 4 Golden (PSVita)  ::  *****

UPRATING - ruined my life for 140 hours
DOWNRATING - None! Well, if you aren't a JRPG fan, maybe avoid.

Far Cry 3 (PS3)  ::  ****

UPRATING - Pretty game, amazing story
DOWNRATING - I just put it down for 2 months. I'll finish it, but because I feel like I should.

Hitman Absolution (PS3)  ::  ***

UPRATING - Murder in the best degree
DOWNRATING - I almost like these games for how cheesy they are. I can't bring myself to rate the story or gameplay higher than three stars.

Just Cause 2 (PS3/XBX360)  ::  ****

UPRATING - You can attach a pressurized gas casket to a mans leg and launch in 15 or so feet into the air to watch him then hit the ground and spin to his death.
DOWNRATING - The worst dialogue since Resident Evil, but at least they knew it.

No comments:

Post a Comment