Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2013

4) I have friends with friends who like high places.

Sean Houston. Oh you beautiful man. Would you please stop playing shows on nights when I can't make it out? I haven't seen you physically on stage since the Parking Lot*. Though I am pretty sure that 15 year old you would not care for the direction you have gone, I think I can forgive you. OK, I should start this over.

My good friend and co-worker Sean has been busy lately. It seems every shift he has he comes in exhausted, but really excited to tell me about what his night consisted of. Initially, it was just things like jamming with the guys and working on some neat ideas. Slowly, it became this mystical thing (from my eyes, anyway) named Lambs. When it was first brought to my attention, it was about experimenting with post-rock ideas and edgy directions. If memory serves well, they played one or two shows instrumentally. The next I hear about Lambs, it was how Sean has started singing and they are now going psychedelic rock.

This was very exciting to me

Now, after about a year of Sean being very tired and talking my ear off about all the new ideas they have and all sorts of stuff, the self titled demo has finally surfaced on BandCamp. As I am typing this, I am making my way through the album (currently on track 4 entitled 'Mister Mystic'). First thoughts? Damnit guys, stop being so awesome. Seriously, I can't help but think late '80s/early '90s Brit Pop. Kelsey (drums) has some of the most appropriate and driving percussive swells I have heard from a band in this scene in a while. Randy (bass) is a fucking beast and ANYONE who has ever heard that kid play knows EXACTLY what I am talking about. Brad and Sean both have some fantastic Guitar layers and it is very obvious that a lot of thought went into the polyrhythm in tracks like The Lobby. In fact, go listen to that song in particular.


Lambs are playing in Hamilton this Friday (fb link) at The Doors Pub with doors opening around Eight PM. I am going to be making an attempt at going to the show, but if ANYONE from Hamilton is reading this and you do not go, you suck. It's only FIVE DOLLARS at the door or THREE DOLLARS when you bring some sort of canned food item. OR you could bring canned food and pay five anyway. The show is looking stacked with sets from Lambs (duh), Slender Loris (see last weeks rant on Kevin), The Eden Wells (I'm sure I'll do something on them soon), and The Ednas (who sound amazing based on the 45 seconds from the first track on their BandCamp)!!

*The Parking Lot was a fantastic idea (and one of the worst executions I have ever seen). It was an all ages venue for punk, metal, ska, and rock bands based out of Cambridge, Ontario. Pretty much every independent band that could have come through the area played there. Sean's old band Susana No Pants used to play there all the time along with Sister Amadeus and All Cut Up.

No comments:

Post a Comment