Pages

Saturday 19 July 2014

Tea Party

Rolling through a common area, I over heard Walking Wounded emenating from a speaker. I used to hate that song to no end due to repetition, but it has been a while for some reason. It made me remember the 90's and all the great Canadian content that came out at that time.

Tea Party was one of those bands that remained timeless for a great deal of their career. They also got me into most styles I grew into. The album that really caught my heart was The Interzone Mantras, released back in 2001. The album was much move reserved than most other albums of the time, but it still managed to expose people to a great volume of other genres. Angel, on top of being a single, was a great pop-rock song. The Martyr and The Margareta, however, is almost Middle Eastern in it's progressions and scales. To be honest, the Middle Eastern scales repeat pretty often thought the album. It makes for a great look at the 90's alt rock scene.

Every musician on this album is amazing. Jeff Martin is fantastic in every capacity he is used. Jeff Burrows, through learning his trap riffs on this album in particular, taught me most of what I know. Stuart Chatword, as well as looking awesome during this period, will always be one of the great bassist in my mind. There is a subtle brilliants in everything that happens. It feels improvised, yet it was very apparent that everything is pre-meditated. This album is very beautiful and very important. Is this a must own? I would say no, even though it is one of my favourites. I do recommend this album to anyone who is looking to expand what they enjoy. It is quite the different experience from one song to the next.

This review was hard as fuck to write. What do you say about your favourite album when it is not all "dude... wait for the solo.. THERE! Right fucking there. That's the shit." Maybe I should stick to more punk, metal, and electronic music reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment